PBX Engineering is an electrical, systems, and software engineering firm, with offices in Victoria, Vancouver, and Squamish. We develop leading edge systems for buildings, transportation, municipal infrastructure, security, and industrial applications across Canada. Our extensive and diverse project portfolio includes infrastructure that positively impacts the public, as well as numerous award-winning projects. We are expanding our Buildings Group in our Victoria office and are currently seeking qualified electrical engineers and technologists.
PBX Victoria offers a challenging and rewarding environment. PBX employs innovative, critical thinkers who enjoy solving problems through creative and collaborative interaction. The selected candidate should be genuinely interested in participating in the mutually beneficial growth and technical development of a very strong and talented group of engineers and designers.
Working closely with senior engineers, you will be an active member of the Buildings and Industrial Group design team, with direct responsibility for project tasks in the following areas:
- Medium and low voltage AC & DC distribution systems including substation and switchgear design
- Backup power generation and transfer schemes
- Condition assessments
- Preparation of calculations and simulations including voltage drop, protection &coordination, arc flash, grounding, underground duct banks,
- Preparation of designs for all types of electrical systems (power, AV, security, fire alarm) for a variety of building and facility types
- Preparation of design documentation, including drawings, cost estimates, and construction specifications
- Performing construction services and site reviews
- Performing system testing, commissioning, and troubleshooting
- Interfacing with clients with high level support from senior engineering staff
In addition to experience with the above responsibilities, the qualifications for the position include:
- Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university, or diploma in Electrical Engineering Technology program or equivalent from a recognized technical institute
- Current or eligible for registration with EGBC as an EIT/P.Eng., or as an AScT with ASTTBC
- 4-7 years of relevant experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Eagerness to learn and a positive, professional attitude
- Able to effectively deal with a high level of responsibility and demanding work schedule
- Knowledge of the Canadian Electrical Code and BC Building Code
- Strong computer skills including good working knowledge of the MS Office suite
- Client relationship management and project management experience
- Experience with ETAP 2019
Knowledge of the following areas are not mandatory, but are considered an asset to the position:
- Experience with AGI32
- Experience preparing National Master Specifications (NMS) documentation
- Familiar with relevant sections of the BC Building Code, Vancouver Building Bylaw, National Building Code of Canada
- Experience with energy code requirements: ASHRAE 90.1
- Experience with primary and secondary BC Hydro service applications and designs
The PBX Environment
We are a different firm – suits and ties to steel toed boots. We believe in supporting the long term career development of our staff through a diverse and challenging workload, industry engagement, and internal and external training. We apply the same effort in fostering a positive social environment as we do in developing innovative and successful projects. We continuously strive to make our firm the kind of place where people want to stay – and our benefits package and approach to compensation are structured to support that goal. We are looking for someone who shares our passion for high quality work and who is interested in contributing positively to our corporate culture.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to send their resumes, complete with references, via email to email@example.com. Include “Industrial and Buildings Design Engineer/Technologist” in the subject line.